Re: Towing and Gas Mileage

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:22:47 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:
> the standard bolt-ons will help both performance and mileage. an
> intake, exhaust and PCM upgrade would certainly help that out a bit.
> Though beware of a PCM upgrade when towing, since it may advance the
> spark too for for heavy loads. I've never tried running performance
> tuning when towing, but I've heard of people who forgot to take out an
> MP performance PCM having detonation problems when loaded down (and
> I've heard of some who didn't, so YMMV).

I'll have to lurk for a while and see what I can learn about these upgrades...

> well, I'd consider 4500-5000 the beginning of heavy for me, but I have
> a 6400# rating (which I've at least bumped on one long trip, and I've
> certainly exceeded my GCWR on two long trips, now...). I with your
> rating, 4k would be 'heavy', then =)

My load may actually be even lighter. The weight of the trailer unloaded is
1,350# and the weight of the boat is 2,000#... plus gear, which is probably
500# at most.

I definitely like to stay below the top end of the rating... I think with
5,700# I should have enough headroom.

I just bought this new Loadmaster trailer, as I'd like to take some longer
trips with the boat. It's one of the nice things about trailerable cruising
sailboats--it's easy to take them to new locations to explore. So, I'm still
getting used to this trailer's characteristics.

> heavy tongue weight as far as I'm concerned in this case (independent
> of percentage of trailer weight) has only to do with how much your
> truck is squatting under the weight and whether your steers get any
> lighter with the weight on there. springs won't help rearward weight
> transfer, though, so you'd have to go weight distributing if you were
> having loose steering. it'd help high speed stability, too (which
> would have been nice on my most recent trip)

Understood. I'm taking my first long-distance trip with this new trailer this
coming weekend. It's about 3 hours each way. I'll report back after the trip.

> quite a fine looking rig (nice boat, too!) =)

Thanks!

> I've got a few shots of me pulling tom's truck up here:
>
> <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dmlphotos/leg1/>

Nice. That was definitely a heavy load, yes?

> I've got pictures of my other overload, but I don't think they're
> online. they're some of MANY pictures waiting for the update of my
> entire site that will probably never happen, so I should stop
> waiting.... =) I also have some pictures of me in front of my family
> pontoon boat here (as well as of my lonely, underused daysailor, among
> others):
>
> <http://mike.tepidcola.com/pics/home/>

Nice!

> glad to have you, and I hope you pick up some useful bits along the way
> =)

I already have! I hope ya'll don't mind some newbie questions from time to
time... I've never even changed my own oil. I have rebuilt entire sailboats
from the group up and come from an extremely mechanically inclined family,
though. :)

Michael
CP19/3 #492 "Shadowfax"