Re: RE: '01 4x4 Quad Cab (Gas Mileage, Towing)

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:09:25 EDT

Bill Pitz said:
> I made a freeway run yesterday and averaged 17-18, which is some of
> the best mileage I've gotten to date. This is the first long run I've
> made since adding the tonneau. I used to see around 15-16, so this is
> a pretty noticable difference. The other thing I noticed is that when
> driving through windy areas (Golden Gate Bridge and the areas to the
> immediate north), there isn't nearly as much force pushing the truck
> around as there used to be. (Of course, a lot of this is probably
> also due to the fact that I replaced the shocks)

Sweet! I'm actually giving some thought to putting a hard cover on mine. It
came from the dealership with a set of bed rails, so I'll have to remove
those.

> I've got an '00 CC 4.7 4x4 w/3.92s also. How many miles do you have
> on your truck?

11,000.

> I agree. I tow my boat (4000-4500 lbs. depending on how much
> gear/fuel/etc.) frequently and the truck handles it extremely well. I
> also noticed a huge difference in the ride after I replaced the
> shocks. (On a bumpy road, the whole truck doesn't bounce up and down
> anymore) I have the 6x9 mirrors on my truck and don't have much of a
> problem seeing what's behind me, with the exception of what's directly
> behind the trailer and less than about 10' away from it. When I need
> to back into tight spaces, I usually have someone to guide me (a good
> idea anyway). I'm definitely going to buy some extra mirrors as soon
> as I find some that fit in nicely.

I'm pretty sure mine has the 6x9 mirrors on it also...

> Just take it easy is all I can really suggest. I've found that my Dak
> is an extremely capable tow vehicle, but as with any vehicle, towing
> puts a lot of extra strain on it... so you should try to avoid
> stomping on the gas and things of that sort. If you have an automatic
> transmission, you generally want to keep it out of overdrive. The
> only time I sneak it back into OD is when I can do 55-60 on a flat
> piece of road and I know that it's not going to keep shifting in and
> out of OD. (The shifting under heavy load is what's the worst for the
> tranny)

Indeed. I do tend to drive extra carefully and extra gently when towing.

Thanks for the advice!

Michael
01 4.7L 4x4 QC