Re: Towing and Gas Mileage

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 17:55:17 EDT

""Michael Quigley"" <michael9@michael9.com> wrote in message

> > I'm also going to dive in and change my front & rear differential
> > fluid (replacing with Redline 75W90) at the same time.
>
> I didn't even know there were better and worse qualities of differential
> fluids. I suppose it makes sense... There are better and worse qualities
of
> everything.
>
> Maybe I should put a better fluid in my Dak if I'm going to be using it to
tow
> a lot?

Ding, ding, ding = winnar!!! A higher quality fluid will help keep temps
down, especially when towing. I think it costs me about $2/qt for Redline
75W90 at the local speed shop.

> > I don't trust myself to do the transmission service yet, so it'll
> > still be going in to the dealer for that.
>
> I hear that.

Huh? I must have missed something. Take it back to the stealer? Wild. You
know it's not difficult at all to change transmission fluid. If you can
manage to take on your differentials then the trans should actually be a
little easier. (It will be messier and smell better though) Anyone with
some basic mechanical skills should easily be able to take care of it. If
you like, I can scan and email pages from my FSM to whomever is interested.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L