Re: Cat question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 21:59:00 EDT

Matt Grose <mgrose@ameritech.net> wrote:

: My cat is very close to be totally shot and I want to replace it as well as
: the entire exhaust system. I was under the truck today and noticed that the
: read O2 sensor is screwed into the cat. Will I need to drill a hole in the
: new cat for the O2 sensor? The new cat is a Car Sound Hi-Flow Cat I got
: from Bernd's shop before it closed down. If I need to drill a hole what
: size should it be? Sorry for the stupid question but I am fairly new to
: doing mods to the truck. Mostly I have down bolt on's and nothing much
: technical. Thanks in advance.

  If you want to retain your rear O2 sensor and won't be using the
piece of pipe it is in, then yes, you'll need to do some fabrication.
The sensor shouldn't be right in the cat itself, but if its within
a foot or two after the cat, that should be fine. There are a few
manufacturers such as Dynomax, Holley, etc. that make weld-in oxygen
sensor bungs. They are available at the usual sources (Summit, Jegs,
local parts stores...) for about $5 each. Basically, you drill a
hole in your exhaust system, put the bung in place and weld it in.
If you don't have access to a welder you will probably end up having
to pay an exhaust shop to do it.

   Just be certain to get a bung with the proper threads - the most
common size is 18mm x 1.5. You will want to double check to make
sure the Dak's rear O2 sensor uses the same thread - perhaps someone
on the DML will know. I can tell you that the front O2 sensor on my
'96 Dak was 18mmx1.5 but I don't recall wether the rear O2 sensor
was the same or not.

  Speaking of which, the reason I don't recall wether the rear O2
sensor is the same or not is because I have no rear O2 sensor -
I've replaced it with an O2 sensor simulator. That's another
option available to you. If you don't want to bother with installing
a rear O2 sensor, you can put a simulator in there instead. Wether
you can get away with this or not depends on how closely your
locality does its visual emissions inspection. Here, they just
look under the truck to verify that a cat is in place, they don't
look for a rear O2 sensor, which really only started showing up
on Daks on '96 and newer models.

  I got my O2 sensor simulator from Marty at KRC Performance
(www.krcperformance.com)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'