Re: return trip

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 16:06:03 EDT

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 02:19 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Would the ferry actually be a shortcut though? I think I read it
> takes 4 hours for the crossing; I would guess there would be some
> additional time involved for embarking, disembarking, delays,
> detours to get to the loading spot and get back on course from the
> exit point. etc. 4 hours worth of driving would be around 240 miles,
> seems like it would be faster to keep driving, but I guess it depends
> on the time of day and how congested Chicago is.
>
> No doubt it would be more relaxing!!! :-)

I use it to skip a hotel during the summer months. the 00:30 crossing
is perfect timing for me on my way to Rochester from MN. as far as
time on either end, they want you there an hour before departure, and
unloading takes half an hour, tops. also consider that tom is about
2:15 due west of the departure point, and then he can head south and
east to get to you. versus heading lots of south, through chi-town,
lots of east and a bit north.

it makes sense IMO.

however, Mapquest disagrees. they peg total driving time at about 12
hours, either way. but they also want you to head north out of 'point
to go across on 29 rather then just due east on 10, so I'm not sure how
much they really know... (that adds 0:45-1:00 to the trip, based on
this route timing versus my driving time taking 10)

stevens point -> manitowoc
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?T63714FA5>

ludington -> forestville
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?P24732FA5>

stevens point -> forestville
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?C15731FA5>

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech