Pulled the head last night (Pics)

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 16:36:45 EDT

http://mikesdakota.com/html/dakota/valve/

#7 exhaust is definitely toast. What concerns me
thought is the condition of the cylinder wall. Take a
look at the pics to see what I mean. The photo
scratch1.jpg looks a little worse in the photo because
of the light. I didn't notice it for a while after
the head was off. You can feel a definite ridge or
grove (scratch?) of some sort in that area.
Scratch2.jpg doesn't feel as bad but it also can be
felt with your finger.

Since this is a MP Performance short block (which was
already bored 30 over) what are my options. And how
can i determine if this imperfection is bad enough to
cause problems. My current plan is to have the valve
fixed, head checked, and reassemble everything. If I
can get by for another 8-12 months that's what I want
to do. By that time I will have a second vehicle and
I can rebuild the Dak with a fresh motor (408
maybe...)

--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com