Could that burnt valve have been...

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 16:42:41 EDT

what I was hearing in the way of a squeak? I just
re-read an earlier post of mine from February of this
year:
-------------
My engine seems to have developed a squeak that sounds
a lot like a bird chirping. It only occurs at low rpm
just off idle with light throttle. I set the e-brake,
put it in gear and listened under the hood while
giving it some throttle by hand (don't try this at
home kiddies) and it seems like the squeak is coming
from the driver's side rear of the engine. Sounds
near the valve cover or distributor area. It sounds
to me like metal on metal making a "chirp". Any ideas
what this could be? I'm almost sure it's not pulleys
or drive belt since it's definately coming from the
rear of the motor. I want to get this figured out
before something breaks. It started a few days ago
and it's getting worse now. Any help would be great!

Driver's side rear of engine is right where #7 exhaust
is. Could a failing valve make a sound like this?
--Mike
www.miksdakota.com