R3 block info

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@datastar.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 08:37:18 EDT

Wow - someone who actually might know something about the R3 block.
I've got one waiting in line behind several other projects and am
gathering info for a future build. The most striking difference besides
being much more beefier pretty much everywhere (especially the lifter
area) is the huge 3/4 or so holes in the lifter galley area where the
spider bolts in. I assume this is some sort of elaborate oiling system
support but dunno.

I am mostly interested in things that are different from stock 5.9L
magnum and didn't think that the CPS was one of them as I thought it
occupied mostly the transmission bellhousing area right next to the
block. I've heard people say that grinding the tranmission was all that
was needed to mount a regular 727/904 onto a magnum motor. Also it
looks like both motor mounting locations (LA and magnum) are provided on
my R3 block.

Anything light you could shed would be appreciated...

TIA,

Shane