Re: Re: Weird steering noise

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 23:44:58 EDT

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:36:48 -0400, valentingar@msn.com ("Valentin
Garcia") wrote:
>Any chance that this might be coming from my front shocks? I forgot to
>mention that after I turn off my truck and I step out it makes a squeking
>sound (when my weight, 195lbs, comes off the truck). I know that stock
>shocks are crap so maybe they should be replaced?

I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't sound that likely ... Do you
hear any squeaks if you go over a bumpy road with the windows down?

>How can I check to see if it's the "screw" problem, or the "intermediate
>shaft" problem?

Try the intermediate shaft first, since it doesn't require taking
anything apart. Look under the hood where the steering shaft comes
through the firewall. You'll see a joint there.. spray it with some
spray lubricant (silicone or white lithium grease would work well).
Make sure you get plenty on there so that there's enough to work into
the joint itself.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, or at least make it a bit
better, you probably don't have the intermediate shaft problem.

The TSB for the screw is #19-04-00. Since you have a 2002 truck, I
don't think it will apply to you. The copy of the TSB that I have
says that it applies to the following trucks:

1997-2000 Dakota
1994-2000 Ram
1998-2000 Dakota (international markets)

It says "NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with
non-tilt steering columns." -- If you have a tilt wheel, the screw
doesn't even exist.

They probably fixed this issue after the 2000 model trucks.

Craig, I don't know what year truck you have, but I could scan a copy
of the TSB and send it to you if you think it might apply to your
truck. It'll at least give you an idea of what has to be done to fix
it.

-Bill