Re: Re: Weird steering noise

From: Valentin Garcia (valentingar@msn.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 22:36:21 EDT

>On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:34:57 -0400, 2kdaksport@comcast.net ("Craig
>Rash") wrote:
> >I've had the same type of thing happen to me. Usually at slow speed and
>when
> >turning the wheel. It was a creak that really had me worried. It
>sounded
> >like it was coming from under the dash right behind the steering whell.
>It
> >turned out that if I put lateral pressure on the wheel, acutally pushed
>on
> >one side or the other, it would creak So for instance, if I was
>steering
> >with one hand, I would actually cause that lateral pressure on the wheel
>and
> >it would creak. It is still there and is very intermittent, although it
> >seems to be getting better.
>
>You should check out the intermediate steering shaft as per the last
>message I sent.
>
>On another note, if you have a non-tilt steering column, there is a
>TSB that applies to most Gen-III Daks for a steering creak. I don't
>have the exact TSB # handy, but I do have it stashed away in my
>maintenance records at home, since they at one point thought that TSB
>might apply to my truck anyway. If that's the problem you're having,
>the fix is pretty easy (replacement of a screw) and can be done in
>about 1/2 hour. I might even have the printout of the TSB still, but
>I don't remember for sure.
>
>The screw problem seems to be described as intermittent, whereas the
>intermediate shaft seems to be more of a constant (and progressively
>worse) noise.
>
>-Bil

Any chance that this might be coming from my front shocks? I forgot to
mention that after I turn off my truck and I step out it makes a squeking
sound (when my weight, 195lbs, comes off the truck). I know that stock
shocks are crap so maybe they should be replaced?

How can I check to see if it's the "screw" problem, or the "intermediate
shaft" problem?

Val Garcia
Houston TX
2K2 SXT RegCab 3.9L V6