Burnt Valve mystery unfolds

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 00:29:17 EDT

Got my driver's side head to the shop today for a new
valve. Wound up putting in a whole set of exhaust
valves. All four were bent! Photos here:

http://www.mikesdakota.com/html/dakota/valve

I think I have figured out what happened. Way back
when I installed the 360 I had a mental lapse the
final time I put the cam shaft in -- I forgot to line
up the dots on the cam and crank gear. As a result I
tried to start the motor with the cam in 45 degrees
off center! Of course it didn't start, and didn't
sound like anything was hitting. But apparently the
exhaust valves were kissing the pistons just enough to
slightly bend them. All 8 pistons have a very slight exhaust
valve stamp on them. So this evening I pulled the
passenger head and it will go into the shop in the
morning. I'm sure it will need 4 exhaust valves.

Hopefully when I get this all put back together I can
finally break into the 13's......

More updates to follow.
--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com