Re: RE: A518 Vs. 727

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 12:13:12 EDT

"Jon" <jonsdak@midmaine.com> wrote:
: "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote in message
:>
:> Jon, the Cudas an auto??? The guy who owns two 5-speed Daks owns an
:> auto trannied Cuda?? I must have mistaken that far left hammer for a
:> clutch. Parking brake??? I'm somewhat dissapointed - yet at the same
:> time highly excited at the idea that I could in theory, jimmy your
:> ignition lock and then actually be able to DRIVE the cuda. I cant drive
:> a stick - - (shut up Andy!!)

  Yep! (Hey, the Ram has an auto, so its not completely without
precedent...) ;-)

: Tom,
: That's what I was thinking when I read that he'd gotten the 'Cuda. I was
: surprised.
: Personally, the auto tranny might make me _less_ likely to steal the 'Cuda.
: A 440 with a stick would be fun!
: Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a 440 is fun with an auto too, but there's
: something about popping the clutch with gobs of horsepower behind it ;)
: Of course, I'm sure a 426 is even more fun! :-)

   I used to be a die hard "manual tranny or nothing" guy (heck, just
search the archives for proof of that) ;-) but a few years ago I
began to learn that each type has their place. If the cuda were for
carving corners then yes, I'd want a stick but for straight line
accelleration and cruising, the auto fits the bill. Especially given
the nature of standard transmissions from the musclecar era. :-)

  Bending three valves in the Dak during a mis-shift may have had
something to do with the revelation as well. ;-)

   In a high HP, straight line beast, give me an auto. You guys can
play with the clutch, try to get off the line, slow down on every
shift and hope you don't break something while I stab the throttle
and bang through the gears by simply slapping forward on my B&M Hammer
shifter whenever I feel like going up another gear. :-)

  Oh, and Tom, the Cuda is a "wood chisel free" zone! ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'