Re: Shocks / Spring Supports / Towing

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 17:59:47 EDT

Bill Pitz said:
> A roadmaster kit would definitely help with that squatting... It's
> whole purpose is to keep the rear end stable in various conditions.
> You must have a pretty heavy tongue weight if it's pushing your back
> end down that much. My truck hardly sags when I attach my trailer..

The tongue weight is somewhere between 300 and 600 pounds. The trailer vendor
designed it to have a heavy tongue weight to make it tow well at highway
speeds.

> Another thing you can do in the interim to keep the trailer level (for
> safety) is get a bar with a lift of a few inches. When I bought mine,
> I randomly guessed with a 2" drop bar and it keeps the trailer almost
> perfectly level.

I could probably flip my ball mount over and get enough raise to keep the
trailer level. I'm more concerned about damaging the truck springs and making
sure the truck is set up properly to handle the tongue weight.

> What stiffer shocks would help with is the bouncing/wobbling that
> happens when you go over bumps with the trailer. (Of course, the
> roadmaster system will also help significantly with that)

Understood. So does the group generally have a good opinion of the Roadmaster
system? And it will keep the back end of my truck from squatting so much?

Michael
02 4.7L 4x4 QC