Re: Shocks / Spring Supports / Towing

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 16:20:34 EDT

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:52:37 -0400, michael9@michael9.com ("Michael
Quigley") wrote:

>Bill Pitz said:
>> I have had the RS9000X shocks on my truck since June and I've been
>> very happy with them. I can keep them soft for everyday driving and
>> then stiffen them up when I need to tow my trailer.
>
>Howdy... Me again...
>
>My trip this past weekend went smoothly and without incident. I've definitely
>noticed that the back end of my Dak squats down when the new trailer is
>attached. The squat causes the trailer to point down toward the ball--it's not
>level.
>
>I'm thinking I'm going to need some kind of additional load carrying supports
>(or something) to offset the tongue weight of this new trailer when towing.
>
>What's the best practice for this kind of thing? What are the pros and cons of
>various products? Should I consider air supports? Different shocks? Roadmaster
>"Active Suspension"?

A roadmaster kit would definitely help with that squatting... It's
whole purpose is to keep the rear end stable in various conditions.
You must have a pretty heavy tongue weight if it's pushing your back
end down that much. My truck hardly sags when I attach my trailer..

Another thing you can do in the interim to keep the trailer level (for
safety) is get a bar with a lift of a few inches. When I bought mine,
I randomly guessed with a 2" drop bar and it keeps the trailer almost
perfectly level.

What stiffer shocks would help with is the bouncing/wobbling that
happens when you go over bumps with the trailer. (Of course, the
roadmaster system will also help significantly with that)

-Bill