RE: Need Advice - '98 Dakota

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 06:56:03 EDT

Hey Eric,

Really need more information.....
Regular cab or club cab?
Auto or manual transmission?
What gear ratio?
If automatic, stall speed of torque converter and shift kit or not?
Street tires or slicks (or DOT drag tires) and what diameter?
Always spinning off the line or does it hook solid?
Catalytic converter (stock or hi-flow) or none?
What rpm is he shifting at?
What cap and rotor and plug wires?
What spark plugs (brand, heat range and gap)?
What size is the "larger" throttle body?

When you list "Mopar" parts, I'm assuming you mean Mopar Performance (MP)?
Which RT cam (there are two versions from MP)?

Was the weather similar when he made the comparison? Weather alone can make
a HUGE difference!

The RT heads can really hurt a 5.2 as their port volume is too large for
that engine. Even more so if he went with the 2.02 intake valves. He would
need a high rpm launch and high shift points to gain anything from them.

A larger throttle body is of no value on a 5.2 (been there, tried that).
The Jacobs ignition (and Accel 300) is of no value performance wise (tried
that too).

RayB
'92 Dakota, 5.2, automatic
stock throttle body, stock coil, 5800 rpm shift points
13.68 @ 101.75, 8.81 @ 80.46 in the 1/8, 2.05 60' (no spin, need higher
stall converter)