Routing Around and Through Chicago?

From: Chryguy (bert59000@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 17:57:29 EDT

Howdy,

  I've been on the road a bit lately,and I think the
advise about avoiding the stretch of 80-94 from I-65
to the IL border is GOLDEN!

  Avoid that stretch like the plague! Coming through
there at 12:30 am it was a parking lot...literally
stopped dead. I rode the shoulder to the next exit and
went south to Rte 30.

   What time are they thinkin'of comin'thru here
anyway?

  Rte 30 to I-57 to I-80 is the hot ticket for SURE.
I-80W(past the toll booth)seems to move pretty well
almost all of the time.

  Make sure you have change(in a four wheeler),or
avoid the toll booth from 80-94 to I-80 West late at
night (2am-4am).
  There's only one guy on duty and it sometimes
backs-up for a half mile or more(them trucks take-up a
lot of space),so if your pullin'a trailer(or tow
dolley like me)prepare to be annoyed.

  The rush hour starts around the Chicago land area at
5:30-6:00 am,so if they're going early they want make
it through most of Chicago before then...although if
they go up 94 there's serious traffic near Chicago
24/7...even late at night.

  They could take I-55N to 355N(toll road)to I-290
(portions toll),to I-90 to I-39(whew!)which
kinda'angles them across IL and will save some time.
Probably 30 minutes,maybe as much as an hour(but
that's strechin'it).

  The reason I ask what time they will come thru is
that I-55 northbound has a "brake check"(near dead
stop)that starts a couple miles south of Rte 126,early
in the morning,and it takes 10-15 minutes to go that
couple miles...sometimes more.

  Rte 30 to I-57 to I-80 is the hot ticket for sure.

  The cruise from I-65 to I-80(taking Rte 30)and then
on to Joliet is around 60-70 minutes,the ride from
Joliet(I-55 & I-80) to I-39 is another 60-70
minutes,although when I came through there last month
sections were down to one lane and it was movin'as
fast as a tree-sap leak.
  The shot from I-39 to Madison is about 2 1/2
hours,again,give or take a few...and that was clear
sailin'all the way to Rockford when I went thru there
in late June.

  And then of course,the plane/helicopter idea is not
to be ignored.

  I hope some of this was helpful...

                              Chryguy