Re: Re: Routing around Chicago?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 22:45:12 EDT

Chris Reck wrote:
> I-294 is the best way to get around Chicago. Some truck traffic in the
> morning and afternoon rush right around where it meets I-80. Also evening
> rush when you get from 294 to I-90
>
> I-355 is the other north/south route but I believe it's still got a lot of
> construction on it.
>
> Personally, I would not head out on I-80 west to I-39 north to Rockford.
> The amount of time to take that 90 degree approach does not save any time
> even if you hit traffic in Chicago. I would take only if you're not used to
> Chicago rush hour drivers.

Got news for ya - - ANY road around Chicagoland will be hell... 294,
290, 90, 80, 55... at any given moment can become a parking lot. Best
advice to get through Chicago is to drive through there at off peak
hours. 9 pm to 6 am seem to be the lightest load times... with a break
in traffic loads from about 11 am to 2 pm... any other time it starts
to get ugly. 90west to 39/51 north is the most direct route. To take
anything else will add miles to the trip. Born, raised, and lived my
entire life in Chicago. I know the hell-spawn that Chicago traffic is.
  I got smart and moved the hell out!! heheh

Terrible Tom

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 - aka "Christine" Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name And Yahoo Messenger Name: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/