Re: Re: RE: Viper fan question

From: srp@cox.net
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 09:58:53 EDT

Hey James--- I am running this fan on my wife's 72 Plymouth Satellite Wagon, 318 car. Previously it had a direct drive, non-viscous fan--- then a clutch fan, then a flex fan-- it over heated with all of these (radiator isn't big enough)-- I had installed a pusher aux fan in front of the radiator, and with it turned on, in traffic, with ANY of the fans mounted to the water pump-- it was 'ok'.. in the middle. Then I switched to the Viper fan, and removed the pusher electric & water pump mounted fans.

Since the Viper fan two things are obvious-- one, temps don't CLIMB as high (with the fan off) than the car did with the flex fan alone. When the fan is turned on, it brings it to approx 1/4 (from 1/2 where it normally ran) in about 3-4 minutes. Also, the car gets better gas mileage (thank god), and has more grunt off the line (which is needs with a 4100 # wagon w/3.23 gears). No difference in performance can be felt with the fan on or off-- so any additional ALT load is minimal in comparison to swinging a flex fan or clutch style.

I'll have to video tape it and put it up on my website, but when I turned on the fan during testing-- parked-- I had a bunch of packing paper in front of the car-- and a good piece of it got sucked up into the radiator-- It was pretty funny... If you are within 1' of the front of the radiator, you can feel the pull this fan puts out.

Sam

www.socaldakota.com