Closed Loop Test

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 15:49:19 EDT

I finally remembered to hook up the scanner on my 97 5.2
when I went on an errand today.

Preliminary test on a cold start and hot/fairly warm start showed
the pcm going into closed loop after a 49 second countdown on
the scanner. Air temp. was somewhere in the 60-70F. I've noticed
this while at the track well no matter what the air temp. is or how
hot/cold the coolant is.

My gut feeling is that it tied to a time period for the heating
element of the O2 sensor(s) to reach the temp. (figure escapes
me at the moment ... 600F?) at which the narrow band sensor(s)
will begin to put out reliable signals.

I'll post if I see any different results.

Bob