Re: OT: Internet Worms/Viruses (was Re: Thank you! (attn. Bernd))

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 23:31:07 EDT

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:11:19 -0400, billday@consolidated.net ("Bill
Day") wrote:
>looks to me that the way this list is setup, that noones addresses are
>actually exchanged during posts. The only way that LookOut will add their
>address is if you correspond directly off list. Its as simple as

Not the case ... Messages come "from" the person who sent them when
they are posted to the list. That's all it takes for the worm to be
able to pick up the e-mail address... It scans the inbox, outbox,
trash, address book, and various other files on the machine in search
of e-mail addresses.

>If you use linux, of course you are a step ahead of the game. If you do not
>want to learn linux, grab the latest netscape or Mozilla for Windows.
>I myself use LookOut cause I'm to lazy to set up the others to my liking but
>am very "rigorous" about updating security patches, virus definition updates
>and such.. also, I keep my email address books trimmed to minimal people.
>Those steps are about most preventitive you can take, other than not being
>on the internet at all...

1. Always keep your copy of Windows up to date. This is the most
important one, far ahead of virus software as long as you don't
download any files or run an e-mail client (like Outlook Express) that
will automatically execute some attachments.

2. Keep your virus definitions up to date.

3. Software firewalls are ok, but IMO there is no real replacement for
a good hardware solution (even if it's just a simple router that does
NAT.. better if that traffic from the Internet can't get directly to
your machine at all).

4. Last, but not least, always be extremely careful about what you
download and open/run/etc. I equate it to picking up food you find
laying around on the sidewalk.. you never know what's going to be in
it. :)

-Bill