Re: OT: Internet Worms/Viruses (was Re: Thank you! (attn. Bernd))

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 23:38:24 EDT

"Bill Day" <billday@consolidated.net> wrote:
[...]
: If you do not
: want to learn linux, grab the latest netscape or Mozilla for Windows.
: I myself use LookOut cause I'm to lazy to set up the others to my liking but
: am very "rigorous" about updating security patches, virus definition updates
: and such.. also, I keep my email address books trimmed to minimal people.
: Those steps are about most preventitive you can take, other than not being
: on the internet at all...

   I have been extremely happy with Eudora. I've been using it
for several years and its one of the few programs which I have
liked enough to actually go ahead and purchase it to get the full
version. (Mostly because of its filtering ability.) Nowadays though,
its free if you don't mind having a tiny advertisement in the
corner of the screen. (You can still purchase it to get the
ad-free version if you really hate ads. Its really tastefully
done though and I don't even notice the ad there anymore.)

   Anyway, I am very happy with it and it sure beats any
Microsoft e-mail program out there. Microsoft has some good
software but they just can't seem to get their e-mail stuff
right. The funny thing is that its been that way for as long
as Microsoft has been trying to write e-mail stuff. It
started with their annoying MS-TNEF attachments back in Microsoft
Mail; the complete lack of security in Lookout is just the
latest in a long line of brain dead Microsoft e-mail products...

  Anyhoo... If anyone is searching for an e-mail client, I
definitely recommend Eudora. (www.eudora.com) Its pretty
configurable as far as look and feel goes, has the ability
for multiple personalities, powerful filtering abilities, etc.

  I have to admit though that I actually read most of my e-mail
using Pine through an SSH shell. :-) I'm sitting at a Linux
command prompt all day so its easier to read it right there
than it is to download it. One less reason to reach for the
mouse. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'