Re: Virus from Jon??????????

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 17:56:33 EDT

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:

: Quiktruk99@aol.com wrote:

:> Just deleted a message from jon @ twistedbits.net titled: Your message was
:> rejected...
:> It had an attached .zip file, but I just deleted it.
:> Funny thing is, I HAVEN'T POSTED A MESSAGE RECENTLY!
:> Looks like our virus guy has found home base for the list.
:> Think I'll unsubscribe 'till this is all worked out.

  What happened is that the virus infected computer at 65.248.163.95
(DCSCSX21) sent a (virus infected) message to dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
masquerading as if it had come from you. When the message got to the
list, it was automatically bounced because attachments aren't allowed.
However, because it was your e-mail address in the From field, that's
where the bounce went. What you got was a bounce message that also
contained the original message.

: The list is an innocent bystander. Someone who is infected and probably
: doesn't know it has the list address and your address somewhere on their
: computer. The worm then starts sending copies of itself out
: masquerading as you or whoever else, which can then result in what you got.

: The list cannot transmit viruses, as Jon has blocked HTML (I think?) and
: attachments (I know for sure). Unsubscribing from the list "'till this
: is all worked out" is futile because it has nothing to do with the DML
: itself.

   Correct. Only plain text is allowed, and no attachments. As such,
it is impossible to contract a virus through the DML itself. (Unless
of course you were at the DML BBQ and caught that cold/flu/whatever which
got a few of us.) ;-)

  As Andy correctly stated, unsubscribing from the DML won't change
anything - the only reason the DML was involved is because it is probably
a DMLer or ex-DMLer's computer who is infected, and it happened to try
to send the virus to the list as you. Whoever it is already has your
address, it wasn't transmitted through the DML itself.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'