Re: Re: Useless Wind Tunnel Testing-was-Gas Mileage...97 CC

From: JAMES KNOX (knox.james@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 01:51:23 EDT

My 91 Dak has a small gas tank & consumes fuel at a considerable rate! This
truck and my previous truck, I've constantly experimented ( 25 yrs ) tail
gate up and tailgate down. Driving highway Toronto - North Bay Ont. or
Columbus Ohio, Carlisle Penn or DML BBQ. That tailgate down gives me greater
range. I've an open box and on windy days, cross wind or direct head-on the
tail gate is like a spoiler or dive brake on an aircraft using air flow as a
braking device. DMLERS who have convoyed with me will atest to my frequent
refuel stops. We never reached Mach 1 so my box has held up. Tailgate up for
city or if you are wary of loosing the load. On the dragstrip I run tailgate
down to maintain consistency as sometimes the wind will come up from
different directions , and if there is no wind SO BE IT.

Jim Knox, 91 Dakota Sportpackage 4x4, 318 LA
Mississauga (Toronto) Ont. Canada