Re: Anybody tried KYB shocks?

From: E Frank Ball (frankb@efball.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 16:18:53 EDT

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:40:40PM +0000, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
}
} in my shop were different than what I needed on my 2WD ;-) I did
} some Google searching and found people saying some good things
} about KYB shocks - I see they list two types for my GenII, the
} GR-2 and the Gas-A-Just. The Gas-A-Just appears to be the higher
} end, performance model where the GR-2 I am guessing is basically
} a stock replacement. The best part is that the Gas-A-Just
} are around $30 each instead of $70, so I could do my whole truck
} for less than half the cost of what the Edelbrocks would be if
} they made GenII IAS units. (I didn't really feel like spending
} $300 for new shocks anyway.) :-)
}
} I just thought I would post a message here to see if anybody
} has had any good/bad experience with the KYB shocks? I'm not
} looking for a real harsh ride, but I'm not looking for a real
} soft one either. Just basically looking for a good value on an
} all-around shock which will be at least as good as the stock
} shocks and hopefully last several years too.

I have a '95 club cab 2WD V8 2000 payload package. "as good as the
stock shocks"? I replaced my stock front shocks at 3000 miles. They
were crap, it bounced up and down like a buick. I put KYB gas shocks on
the front (kept the stock shocks in back) and it was a major
improvement. Much firmer, but certianly not too firm.

I think dodge uses the same shocks for all models, and mine has way more
weight on the front than a standard cab short bed with a 4 cylinder and
no AC.

--

E Frank Ball frankb@efball.com