Anybody tried KYB shocks?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 14:40:40 EDT

  My '96 Dak is about 30,000 miles past due for a set of fresh
shocks. After reading Ron's glowing recommendation of Edelbrock
IAS shocks, I thought I might give them a try (I had heard good
things about them in the past also). However, Edelbrock appears
to be one of these companies who thinks the Dakota was introduced
in the 1997 model year. :-P I didn't see an application for my
'96 2wd.

  So, back to square one. :-) After checking to verify that
Jason Bleazard's set of GenII 4x4 Rancho 5000 shocks sitting down
in my shop were different than what I needed on my 2WD ;-) I did
some Google searching and found people saying some good things
about KYB shocks - I see they list two types for my GenII, the
GR-2 and the Gas-A-Just. The Gas-A-Just appears to be the higher
end, performance model where the GR-2 I am guessing is basically
a stock replacement. The best part is that the Gas-A-Just
are around $30 each instead of $70, so I could do my whole truck
for less than half the cost of what the Edelbrocks would be if
they made GenII IAS units. (I didn't really feel like spending
$300 for new shocks anyway.) :-)

  I just thought I would post a message here to see if anybody
has had any good/bad experience with the KYB shocks? I'm not
looking for a real harsh ride, but I'm not looking for a real
soft one either. Just basically looking for a good value on an
all-around shock which will be at least as good as the stock
shocks and hopefully last several years too.

 Thanks!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'