Re: Anybody tried KYB shocks?

From: William Hall (abeercan@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 19:30:24 EDT

<snip>
--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I see they list two types for my
> GenII, the
> GR-2 and the Gas-A-Just. The Gas-A-Just appears to
> be the higher
> end, performance model where the GR-2 I am guessing
> is basically
> a stock replacement. The best part is that the
> Gas-A-Just
> are around $30 each instead of $70, so I could do my
> whole truck
> for less than half the cost of what the Edelbrocks
> would be if
> they made GenII IAS units.
> I just thought I would post a message here to see
> if anybody
> has had any good/bad experience with the KYB shocks?
> I'm not
> looking for a real harsh ride, but I'm not looking
> for a real
> soft one either. Just basically looking for a good
> value on an
> all-around shock which will be at least as good as
> the stock
> shocks and hopefully last several years too.
>
> Thanks!
<snip>

Jon,
I had KYB Gas-A-Just on my 96 Dakota club cab and what
can I say about them? one word, awesome! Check with
Advance Auto (I worked for discount auto when I bought
mine back before advance bought them out). When I
bought mine they came with a lifetime warranty on them
and were $35.99 each for front and rear. Yes they
were special order, but only took overnight to get in.
 I had them on my Dakota for around 45,000 miles and
they weren't "well I am going to the grocery store"
miles either. They definately helped with body roll
and I am certain worked that much better when I added
a larger front sway bar and a rear bar as well. If
you have ever been through Jackson, MS on I-55 you
will remember the nice swooping curves at the water
treatment plant. Before the KYBs I could take them
around 70-75 with a little tire holler. After KYBs I
was taking them around 80-85 with a little tire
holler. After the bars and KYBs I was taking them at
95-100 with a little holler. I definately give it two
very big thumbs up for the Gas A Just Jon. The GR-2
is more a stock replacement as you read. Teh Gas A
Just definately has a little firmer ride, but it isn't
like you torched the front coils and took out 3
windings then set it back down with only 1" between
the a-arm and the bumpstop. It is more like the
factory springs have been increased about 10% in
stiffness and when you get on the really bumpy stuff
is when you will notice the Gas A Just the most.
Before when I hit bumpy stuff I would have to keep it
in line by wiggling the steering wheel some. With the
KYBs it seemed the truck took on the attitude of "Come
on Will! Push on that GO pedal more, I can take it!"

The other Will
two 96 Dakota club cabs
68 Charger