Re: Question....

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 18:40:31 EDT

"Bill Day" <billday@consolidated.net> wrote:

: I got a chance to get the 9.25's(w/3.92s) from under a wrecked '99 Dakota
: being parted out... I know this isn't exactly what I'm after(want the ford
: axle swap w/4.56 or 4.7x) but for the time being, could be a major
: imporvement over my 8.25's w/3.55...

: Am I looking at any major modifications to install these...? If noones sure
: could you suggest somethings I should measure/check before trying to get
: them?

   I do know that the GenIII rear width is wider than the GenII
width, so this axle will be wider than your current one - your
wheels will stick out further than they do now. (How much, I'm
not sure, you may need to measure to find out exactly.)

   As far as things to check, I would take a look at the spring
perches and shock mounts to see if they are the same type and in
the same location as on your 8.25. Check the pinion on the 9.25
to see if your driveshaft's current U-joint will mate with it,
if not you may need to swap some parts around to make it work.
Check the distance from the axle centerline to the end of the
pinion (where the driveshaft attaches). If this is not the
same on both rears, you might need to have your driveshaft
shortened or lengthened to make it work. Pinion angle might
be another thing to check, though small differences can be
compensated for with shims. If the difference is big enough,
you will need to cut off the spring perches and weld new ones
on.

  I've never done this swap myself and can't think of anybody
who has, but those are just some things that come to mind;
perhaps other folks will have some additional things to watch
for. Note that all of the stuff I mentioned above, if there
is something different or the measurements are off, are not
a deal-breaker... Its just that each thing that is off or
different means some additional fabrication on your part. You
absolutely can put that 9.25 under your '95, the question is
how much work (and money) will it take? :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'