Re: Belly Pan Gasket Problem??

From: Jason Bates (kc8lbn@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 17:13:57 EDT

> I know several of you have done this fix yourselves, so I have some
> questions about removing/replacing the manifold:
>
> 1) The tube for the EGR from the intake manifold to the exhaust
> manifold. How do I remove it? The factory manual doesn't say.

Thats a pita, on my 95 it wasn't easy, I found the best way was to unscrew
it from the back of the manifold with a wrench, push it far enough back to
remove the intake...

> 2) There appears to be very little clearance between the AC compressor
> and the manifold. The factory manual didn't say anything about it.
> Webpage #3 above says to unbolt it and move it out of the way.

Yep take it off and set aside, no need to recharge

> There is a hole in the mounting bracket for the AC compressor to clear
> one of the manifold mounting bolts, so it appears they intend for the
> manifold to be removed without removing the AC compressor (which looks
> like a huge deal to get the compressor mounting bracket out of the way).
> Is there really enough room to get the manifold off/on without
> disturbing the AC? I'm thinking I need to get the compressor out of the
> way. Apparently it can be done without ripping the whole front end of
> the truck apart.

Compressor bracket has to be removed, leave alternator attached if you want,
not hard, just make sure you don't remove the water pump bolts

> 3) I figured out I don't have to break the fuel line to the fuel rails
> (special tool required), I can just pivot them over and hang them on the
> brake master cylinder.

Tool costs 4.99 at most parts stores easier to leave your injectors and fuel
rail alone, less chance of tearing an o ring.

> 4) Anything else I should be aware of? I've never taken a V8 intake
> manifold off, but I've had the heads off a few straight 4s and a
> straight /6 before.

Its easy take your time and torque everything to specs

> I have the new Mopar metal plenum gasket. Should I coat it with copper
> Permatex stuff made to go on gaskets or maybe use the form-a-gasket
> type? I'm thinking the form-a-gasket stuff.

I sprayed mopar gasket stuff on all the belly pans I have done (7 now) and
have not had one come back yet
I don't know where your at but I'm in Lansing, Mi if your close and need
help...