Re: Got new TIRES for the Dak :-)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 23:25:58 EDT

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:49:05 -0400, john_bell_2@hushmail.com ("John
Bell") wrote:

>OK, I just got back from the Bridgestone dealer, where they swapped out the
>factory Badyears for some nice, shiny, new...
>
>Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos!
>
>It's like a new truck... I'll keep y'all posted as I run the Blue Bomber
>through its paces on new skins.
>
>BTW, if anyone has any recommendations on good shocks for a 2000 Quad Cab
>4x4, I am all ears ;-).

*sigh* here we go AGAIN!

Someone needs to add a "shocks" section to the faq with everyone's
comments. In short, here are some of the shocks that I can remember
people talking about:

Rancho RS9000/RS9000X (primarily for the gadget lovers among us)
Rancho RS5000 (too stiff for some)
Rancho RSX (same shock as the Monroe Sensatrac... self adjusting)

Monroe Sensatrac
Monroe Reflex (the latest, greatest self adjusting shock from Monroe)

KYB Gas-a-Just (probably would also be too stiff for some -- I equate
the ride with these to be about the same as the RS5000s)

Then there's also Edelbrock and Gabriel, which I don't remember
reading anything bad about. The folks who have had broken lower front
shock bolts seem to have all been using the ProComp shocks, so you
might want to steer clear of those.

I personally have the RS9000X (9-way adjustable) shocks all around on
my truck. They've been great for me so far. Definitely a firmer ride
than the stock shocks even on the softest setting, but I feel much
more in control of the truck. It corners better, tows better, and
handles better overall. These are basically the results you will find
no matter what you replace the OEM shocks with, though.

What I particularly like about mine is the ability to crank them up
when I'm towing. Stops the truck from bouncing around. If I had it
all to do over again, I'd probably buy the Monroe Reflexes now that
I've had the fun of adjustables :)

-Bill