RE: that U-Joint check

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 19:47:27 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of
jon@dakota-truck.net
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 4:29 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: that U-Joint check

   Incidentally, a couple of years ago I was getting some strange
drivetrain noises from my '96; I took it to the dealer since it
was still covered under the extended warranty. I mentioned to
the service manager that I didn't think it was u-joints since
they didn't have any play, and he said that many times a u-joint
will actually tighten up as it fails. If that is the case, not
being able to get any movement out of it does not necessarily
mean the U-joint is good. Anybody know if there is any truth
to that?

The u-joint cups should be able to swing freely on the trunnions without any
"notchyness". This is easier to check by dropping one end of the drive
shaft. If the cups don't swing, swing tightly, or squeak while swinging, it
would tell me there is a lack of grease on the needles and the joint is near
failure.
There should be absolutely no rotational play. If there is; I would call
that joint failed, it just hasn't fallen apart yet. Rotational play
indicates that lack of lubrication or extreme torque beyond the strength of
the joint has caused the needles to break and fall out or the inside of the
cup is worn, or the trunnion is worn, or all three.
The worst joint I have seen had no cups. The needles had disintegrated, the
cups had broken and fallen out, and the trunnions were driving the holes in
the yoke. Can you say "LOTS OF BACKLASH?"