Re: Re: Re: WAS: My truck and my first questions!NOW:Head Lights.

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 14:10:41 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Rash" <2kdaksport@comcast.net>

> for head lights?? What is HID?

HID, it stands for High Intensity Discharge. It's been in use commercially
for lots of years now. HID lamps use a high voltage low current transformer
for power. The voltage is usually somewhere around 9,000 - 12,000 volts
depending on the wattage of the bulbs, the most common being 9,000V. When
Hella first came out with the conversion kits they were using 9,000 volt
transformers. The amperage is in the millamps range. The lamps used in the
conversions are Metal Halide HIDs. MH's give you the white-bluish light you
see. Commercially there are other HID's available but not for vehicles
because they aren't as efficient as Metal Halide lamps.
I hope this helps.

Wayne
01 QC Sport 4x4 V8
Proj. Mgr. A/E firm