Re: Re: Loud Ticking

From: JAMEPC@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 20:27:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/2003 8:13:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rsmith13@nycap.rr.com writes:

> Hey, James,
>
> <snip> All of a sudden theres this loud ticking. It sounds like it's coming
> from
> the #2 or # 4 cylinder area. It could be an exhaust leak but what else
> would
> make a large metalic ticking sound? It's a constant 3 ticks per second at
> idle
> and increases proportionatly with rpm's. It can be easily heard from
> inside
> the cab with the windows up<snip>
>
> Sounds like a valve lifter from here...
>
> Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
> Averill Park, NY
> 2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed
>
> WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

I thought that too. The lifters only have 3000 miles on them but that
doesn't make them good. When a lifter goes bad, what actually happens? They don't
pump up and the ticking is the sound of the lifter hitting the push rod and
rocker? It does sound a little louder from under the truck but I thought it
might be just ricocheting sound. Any way to test this? I wish I had a mechanics
stethoscope.
Thanks again,
James