re:Loud Ticking

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 22:21:07 EDT

>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:39:48 EDT
>From: JAMEPC@aol.com
>Subject: DML: Loud Ticking
>
>ll of a sudden theres this loud ticking. It sounds like it's coming from
>the #2 or # 4 cylinder area. It could be an exhaust leak but what else
would
>make a large metalic ticking sound? It's a constant 3 ticks per second at
idle
>and increases proportionatly with rpm's. It can be easily heard from
inside
>the cab with the windows up.
>Thanks for any help.
>James
>'93 318

Reminds me of the time when a small stone got embedded in the serpentine
belt.. I accidently reversed it after I had it off and when I reinstalled
it every time the small stone passed the tensioner it clicked. I don't
think it was as frequent as 3 per sec though. Try to calculate what would
be happening to the engine at a 3/sec rate at your idle speed and go from
there.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,K&N
dropin,Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Jacobs ign,MSD 8mm
wires,Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq