Re: Re: OT: Yuppie SUVs WAS: Porsche vs. the "PIT"

From: Bill Knight (wknight40@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 07:11:17 EDT

)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:11:12 -0400

Legally there is no way to buy a military HuMVEE in the civilian market.
Admittedlly I do not have the website on hand but according to what I
remember the military HuMVEE does not meet DOT standards for civilian use.
Again any and all military spec version of this vehicle are supposed to be
parted and scrapped before being released from military sale. Not to say
that it cannot be done, chances are those that have a military spec HuMVEE
is either lying, possibly, was lied to when purchased, or is stolen from the
military and therefore carries a heavy fine. Found the web site I was
attempting to quote. Has all the info I mentioned in detail then some. If I
had the money to purchase an H1 I would not be worried about the cost of
repair because I would be able to afford it. H2 may be well suited for off
road like the porsche(sp.?) but both look to sissyfied(new seldom used
woed?) to me.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_hmmwv.php3
>From the website:
"Unlike the WW II jeeps which were sold to the general public by the
Government, the policy regarding the HMMWV has put them mostly off-limits to
civilians. The reasons for this policy are not completely clear. Officially,
the problem is DOT. The US Department of Transportation has a lot of
requirements for what a civilian motor vehicle has to be and the HMMWV
(military model) does not meet them. Things like doors with side-impact
protection (basic HMMWV has just a web strap), lighting (military lighting
falls short), and padded impact-absorbing dashboard (Army issues bare
metal). The DOT requirments plus a fear of lawsuits and maybe other factors
have put the HMMWV on the "look but don't touch" list."