Re: Chrysler's Future

From: Tom Byrne (kerib@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 19:15:20 EDT

I trade Chrysler Bonds for Citigroup and without the merger (acquisition)
Chrysler had a very good chance of going bankrupt. Their R&D costs were
through the moon and by 1998 they were the least efficient major automaker.
In other words it cost them more to develop and build a car than anyone
else. The were not sure if they would have enough money to develop and build
the next line of vehicles. Daimler saw this weakness and thought they could
get a good deal on a company that needed some minor tweaking. When they took
over the situation was worse than they thought.