Re: RE: Amsoil -rebuttal

From: Gary Hedlin (ghedlin@theramp.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 02:15:02 EDT

I whole-heartedly agree with you Tom. I've talked to several people on the
whole dino-synthetic debate... but not ONE said ANYTHING about extended
changing cycles. I have and always will change my oil every 3000 miles.
Theres no substitute for proper maintenence...no matter what you use.

The most logical way to look at this is is by the oil raitings... 10w30
refers to the specifications of the oil. Synthetic oil could not have 10w30
or anything like that printed on the label unless it met those
specifications. ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. Synthetic oil has to meet the same
specs as dino oil....They just use man made ingrediants rather than organic
(which petrolium is)

The major thing that makes any oil loose viscosity is dirt. Dirty oil does
not lubricate as well as clean...we all know this. As far as I know,
synthetic oil has nothing in it to prevent it from getting dirty. Sure you
can show me all the data you can find on how synthetic looses less viscosity
under heat compared to dino oil, but the odds are much greater that oil will
get dirty and loose viscosity. The tempratures of the heat in which these
tests are done are practicly non-existant in an engine. So why are they
basing tests on tempratures that an engine would probably never see???
Simple, just so they can say it is better at keeping its velocity.

I have to admit.. I use royal purple in my truck. I use it for only one
reason, I have seen a quieter engine and a little more power when I started
using it. It is just a prefference, and I still change it every 3000 miles.
Is it lubricating better than dino-oil??? I don't know for sure. But if the
differences I see are only mental, and me using royal purple is not helping
a damn thing in reality, i'm still changing it every 3000 miles which is
doing more that relying on the hype of the synthetic marketing machine.

--
Gary Hedlin
President

Gary's Wisdom- #216

-Don't Blame Me....I Voted for Nader!!! "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3F6E8145.3040902@earthlink.net... > > Marc W. Grobe wrote: > > I have changed over to Amsoil in > > all three of my Mopar vehicles over the last three years. The reason I > > changed had entirely to do with my desire to use longer drain intervals. > > I also became reacquainted with my old High School Auto teacher who was > > a Dodge mechanic that had been using Amsoil and extended drain intervals > > for something like the last 10 years. Said if I had oil related engine > > failure he would do the work for me. > > > > Just my own thoughts. > > > > Well I was going to stay out of the Amsoil Flame Wars because I have never > used any of their products and I don't know much about them. I'm sorry > - but I have changed oil enough to see what happens to any oil that has > been left in an engine for too long. Its black as coal and smells > really burnt. I dont care how good a company claims their oil and/or > filter is - theres no substitute for religious oil /filter changing. A > guy I used to work for (whos business partner is a certified diesel > mechanic and who also sold me the Jeep).. has an old Chevy Celeberity... > almost 300,000 miles! Aside from belts, tires batteries, and one alt and > a muffler I think.... the car is completly original. he has used dino > juice only - no fancy synthetic oil.. and changed the oil every 3000 > miles. The car consumes less than a quart of oil between oil changes. > Even the transmission is original. This seems to me to be a testiment > not to any one product - but to regular and competant maintenance. > > I would NEVER deliberatly run oil more than 4000 miles in my engine > based upon claims of the manufacturer. > > -- > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- > Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine > > "Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads > > '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 > '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4 > > http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ > http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/ >