Re: RE: Amsoil -rebuttal

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 00:57:41 EDT

Marc W. Grobe wrote:
> I have changed over to Amsoil in
> all three of my Mopar vehicles over the last three years. The reason I
> changed had entirely to do with my desire to use longer drain intervals.
> I also became reacquainted with my old High School Auto teacher who was
> a Dodge mechanic that had been using Amsoil and extended drain intervals
> for something like the last 10 years. Said if I had oil related engine
> failure he would do the work for me.
>
> Just my own thoughts.

Well I was going to stay out of the Amsoil Flame Wars because I have never
used any of their products and I don't know much about them. I'm sorry
- but I have changed oil enough to see what happens to any oil that has
been left in an engine for too long. Its black as coal and smells
really burnt. I dont care how good a company claims their oil and/or
filter is - theres no substitute for religious oil /filter changing. A
guy I used to work for (whos business partner is a certified diesel
mechanic and who also sold me the Jeep).. has an old Chevy Celeberity...
almost 300,000 miles! Aside from belts, tires batteries, and one alt and
a muffler I think.... the car is completly original. he has used dino
juice only - no fancy synthetic oil.. and changed the oil every 3000
miles. The car consumes less than a quart of oil between oil changes.
Even the transmission is original. This seems to me to be a testiment
not to any one product - but to regular and competant maintenance.

I would NEVER deliberatly run oil more than 4000 miles in my engine
based upon claims of the manufacturer.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/