Re: 5.7 hemi swap

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 12:22:08 EDT

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 11:08 AM, Terrible Tom wrote:

> andy levy wrote:
>> garett wrote:
>>> has anyone actually looked in to doing a 5.7 hemi swap in to a genIII
>>> dakota? i really have been thinking about it as a future project
>>> but would
>>> like to have more knowledge about it before i just jumped in and
>>> started
>>> doing things.
>> IIRC, it's too tall to fit under the cowl.
>
> hmm ok - what about engine mounts, flywheel and tranny bolt patterns?

chances are since it was interchangable with the 5.9 for a model year
(at least on paper) it uses the same mounts. of course it's also
possible that the mounts are different and both are provided for in the
Ram's engine bay, and a Dak would be screwed.

as far as the trans and flywheel go, I think you'd want to be keeping
the trans that was mated to the hemi to begin with along with the
engine, since it's rated to put out a pile more torque than the 5.2/5.9.

I haven't seriously investigated anything like this, but these are the
lines I've been thinking along for the 5-years-down-the-line swap I'm
considering.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>