RE: RE: 5.7 hemi swap

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 01:11:02 EDT

I've been fascinated by the way people have swallowed the whole Hemi deal
hook, line and sinker. The marketing people hit a home run with that one.
The new Hemi shares _NOTHING_ with the Hemi of old other than a similar head
design. I say similar because the new Hemi head isn't fully hemispherical.
Yet everyone seems to be sold on the idea that it's by default going to make
some enormous HP numbers like the old Hemi. Sorry. It won't. Not for the
foreseeable future.

It's a sub 300 rwhp motor with an engine controller locked up like Fort
Knox. The tricks that companies used to hotrod the computer before _WILL_
_NOT_ work on this one. Game over. DC has to give you the keys to the safe
or you're not going anywhere with the NGC. Aftermarket engine
management....maybe.....some day. The DIY deal is far from prime time ready.
Bolt it on an older LA motor or something and it sorta makes sense. Anything
newer and it's a step backwards, IMO.

$10K for a kit that'll make your Dakota a high 13 sec or 14 flat truck? Why?
If it's HP you're after you can have a low 12/high 11 sec screamer for that
kind of money with a 360 or a 408.

Bob