Re: Toureg (yeah, it's OT)

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 01:44:26 EDT

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 03:59 PM, Mr. Plow wrote:

>> From: Jeff Durling <jdurling@bellsouth.net>
>
>> BTW, the Toureq is a nice vehicle and if you read the reviews on it
>> you'd be amazed at how good off road it is.
>

> Unfortunately, there are about 3 mags that do off-road testing, and
> actually take the vehicles OFF ROAD. Usually the mags just go up a
> "somewhat" steep gravel or dirt road, or drive slow through a couple
> of inches of water and say that it fords streams well. <rolling eyes>

amen. it's pretty pathetic. I wonder if a Buffalo VW dealership would
be willing to lend one for an extended test drive ;-)
too bad I could never get it clean again!

> Maybe the Toureg is different, ya i know about it going through 22" of
> water, but that is about where i want a vehicle to start, not stop at
> 22.1" of water.
> And will the Toureg come with 4-lo?

yes, real transfer case. locking difs available. the bottom is quite
flat but only plastic-clad, so it would probably fare as well as the
plastic-covered Dak bottoms.

> The Dak is pretty good out of the box as well, just a little too long
> with a bad departure angle.

ask Barry about that! hehe =)

> If the Daks came with a solid front axle, i would still have one, and
> it would probably be rolling on 35's. :D

as someone already pointed out, that is a fixable problem....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech