twin oil filter kit "answer" & a new leak!

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 23:37:21 EDT

so I was crawling under my Dak today.... I'm planning on putting my
headers on tomorrow, which reminded me about that I also have a dual
oil filter kit waiting to go on. while I was out getting a scraper and
copper goop for the header gaskets, I also picked up one each of the
two sizes of filter recommended for the permacool kit I got.

I'll probably remember to test fit them tomorrow, but from my
preliminary (and pre-filter purchase) investigation it looks like there
is room to mount the filters on the inside of the right frame rail
between the engine mount and the front crossmember. the only thing in
the way is the front axle vent tube, which is easilly moved. the real
question is whether there is enough vertical clearance with the
steering gear.

I think with the smaller filter there will be, but I'm not so sure
about the larger filter. there's about a 1"-1.5" difference in length
between the two. depending on how the headers go, I'll report back and
let yall know how the filters will fit. If the headers are mean and
nasty and I break all sorts of bolts or something, I'll probably just
break a toe kicking the truck and not feel like test fitting Yet
Another Project.

speaking of Yet Another Project.... one of the soft lines going to the
trans cooler is leaking at one end or the other. I didn't look, except
to notice the drip, so does anyone here know if the rubber lines come
off those hard lines easily? and is that something I'll just be able
to pick up at Advance Auto or will it be more of a pain than that? and
finally, the $500 question, if it's leaking now, will it burst next
weekend and strand me in albany?

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech