trans pan holes

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 13:02:35 EDT

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Wayne Allewelt wrote:

> Ok Mike we must ask why you shouldn't have drilled a hole in the trans
> pan.
> Curiosity has gotten the best of me, Cause I've been thinking about
> doing
> the different temperature sender set as well in the future. I think
> you have
> a great idea going there with the gauge setup. Nice looking job.

well, the hole that I shouldn't have drilled was where I was originally
going to put the sender. sleep deprivation had gotten the best of me
at the time, though, so even though I did get it on the right side of
the pan, I was perfectly lined up with one of the bolt holes :^}

oops.

so my 10¢ patch was drilling holes in the center of two nickels and
sandwiching the hole with a very small bolt and nut, with JB weld as a
sealant on both sides. seems to be holding wonderfully.

the sensor, on the other hand, seems to be weeping a bit of trans fluid
from around it's bung - I should have JB'd that, too. However, the
fact that even in the mud at Jon's, neither the sensor got knocked or
the wire pulled off says a lot. I think I found a good spot.

What it has told me so far is that it takes about 15 minutes to get up
to operating temp of around 190˚, and will occasionally crest 200˚.
When I was towing Christine, I saw it top out at around 215˚ or so.

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech