Re: power outlet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 14:31:05 EDT

"garett" <hiltigarett@hotmail.com> wrote:

: how did you add the second socket?

  You can buy a universal cigarette lighter socket at most any
auto parts store, wal-mart, etc. There are a few different styles,
some come with a mounting bracket. Its an easy 2 wire hookup,
ground and +12v. If you want it on all the time, wire it to a
constant +12v source, if you only want it on when the ignition
is on, wire it to a switched +12v source.

   The main thing to be wary of here is to consider how many amps
you will be pulling through it and choose the circuit you tie into
wisely so you don't overextend the circuit. I prefer to wire them
directly to the battery. You can do this even if you need a switched
+12v source as you can just use a relay which allows you to use the
battery for power and the switched +12v source as the trigger.

   It is also a good idea to install an in-line fuse, rated
appropriately for the wiring gauge and intended current draw.
(20-30 amp is probably about right)

  The best part is that this is pretty cheap - the sockets
themselves are $3-5, figure another $5-10 for anything else
you might need like wire, relays, fuse & socket, etc.

  If you want to get a bit fancy, you could pull a lighter
or power socket with the cover in place out of a junkyard
Mopar, and install it right in the dash somewhere; would look
like a factory install. (Obviously this would be more expensive
and would require more work. Its certainly easier to just
attach a generic one under the dash.

  Here's a pic of a generic one that I got for a few dollars at
Autozone and installed in my Barracuda - it came with the mounting
bracket: http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/barracuda/efi/PICS/149.jpg

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'