mods, problems (the usual ;-) )

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 02:23:04 EDT

I don't feel like writing this twice (hope you don't mind reading
around the tags)..... I think they make sense standing on their own.
any thoughts on the latter? I swear I'm not burning oil. unless
someone else is adding it for me....

been easier. The included directions were okay, and it was really
stupid simple to begin with. I was short a 3/8" allen in 3/8" drive,
so I racheted the system tight from the back end with the lock nuts on
the rod end rather than the screws on the spring end as is intended
(which, of course, I held with a normal 3/8" allen). That made
tightening a bit more of a pain than it otherwise would have been, but
it still was pretty easy. I haven't beaten the truck since
installation, but first impressions are a much firmer ride in the rear
(setting preference on my Ranchos went from 8 to 3) and much more
cornering stability, just as advertised. I'm impressed.</p>

When last I was in severe mud, it seems that my K&N FIPK air hat was
not mounted as tightly as it should have been. I took my airhat off
when I put on my headers and found a good quantity of muddy setiment on
top of and down into the throttle body. I cleaned that off as well as
I could, but when I began investigating moving my intake air
tempereature sensor to my cold air intake tube (from it's current
location on the beer barrel), I found that it was covered in oily dust.
  That's definitely a Very Bad Thing. I think it would probably be a
Good Idea to pull my intake manifold take a look at the top end of my
engine in relatively short order. <a
href="http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html"
target="_blank">Moparts</a> sells 2bbl MPI intakes for $325 (no
anchors, search for p/n 5007852), so that might be a feasable option
versus cleaning out what I've got &em; or just a convinient upgrade
when tearing apart the top end.</p>

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech