Tranny Toast With Rust Jam Topping

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 00:54:36 EDT

Well I took Christine out for a few laps around the block... and I'm
suprised the neighbors didnt call the cops...

(starter crank)

thwuba thwuba thwuba thwuba thwuba --- sputter - - sputter chug -- then
something resembeling an idle... shift into reverse *STALL*

I finally got outta the driveway... and she makes as much VOLUME with
her muffler exhaust as the Ram does, but it sounds like crap - engine
racing, cat rattling, ugh...

I changed the fluid in the trans which was murkey opaque... good tranny
fluid should be clear remember? heh There were some metal bits in the
bottom of the pan - but not much really... however under the tranny
fluid - about a 1/4 inch deep... was a thicker grey substance... which I
  gather is all that remains of my bands... No hard parts seem to be
damaged... Trans shifts and Overdrive works... I'm betting a rebuild
and a new torque coverter and it would still be useable.

I might change the fluid again and see if that helps... However I
seriously doubt Christine will be at Daktoberfest. The starter has
issues - it cranks over when it feels like it - I still have an
unlocated oil pan leak and I heard some kind of rotating whapping sound.
  up front. Not to mention the brakes are iffy. At Jons - you must go
fast through mud. Its the law. But you also need to be able to stop heheh.

Looks like I'm going to start the rebuild/buildup project now. Nothing
else to do with her. I refuse to dump any more money into Gen I stock
Dakota parts.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/