Re: RE: RE: RE: K&N -- good people, good product.

From: Kenneth Berntsen (kenneth@berntsen.cc)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 14:04:12 EDT

This little analysis cracks me up...

<SNIP> <!-- XML For Cut and Paste ;-) -->
Let's just assume that there are 10 grams of dirt sized 20 microns or
greater per 10,000 gallons of air that enters your engine. And let's also
assume the engine receives about 10,000 gallons of air every hour.

It could be any ratio of air vs. dirt, it really doesn't matter for the
purposes of this discussion. It's the comparison percentages that matter.

If the numbers above are assumed, let's also assume that a paper element
is 75 percent efficient at removing particles of 20 microns or larger
(it's generally pretty close to this for the better paper filters). It
then stands to reason that every hour, 7.5 grams of dirt particles (75% of
10 grams) would be filtered out and 2.5 grams would be allowed to enter
your engine.

Now, let's assume that the K & N filter provides 30% greater air flow than
a paper filter, but the same filtration efficiency. That means that over
the same hour, 13,000 gallons of air would enter the K & N equipped engine
(30% more air than the paper filter).

According to the assumptions made above, there would be 13 grams of dirt
over 20 microns within this amount of air (at 10 grams per 10,000 gallons
of air). At 75% efficiency (the same as the paper element), over the same
one hour time period, 9.75 grams of dirt would be trapped by the filter
and 3.25 grams would enter the engine.

That would be 30% more dirt entering your engine! Of course, when you
think about it, that only makes sense. 30% better air flow with no real
increase in filtration efficiency SHOULD lead to 30% more dirt in your
engine.

So, although you are likely to gain an increase in performance, don't
overlook the potential increase in contaminants within your engine and the
resulting engine wear that could be caused.
</SNIP>

So an engine running for the same time at the same RPM will magically
ingest 30% more air. Just a small problem with this guys math.