Chewing Rotors

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 12:18:17 EDT

Ok, this is starting to get annoying. My truck is eating distributor
rotors. It really sucks because it's usually when I'm out and about.
After today, I think I'm gonna carry a spare w/ me and my phillips
screwdriver at all times.

I'm not sure exactly what happens, but when I pulled the cap off last
night, the metal had completely seperated from the plastic and was just
lying in the cap. I did notice there were six individual spots on the
coil tab on the rotor. Should there just be one? This indicates to me
that the rotors have been out of balance, but I wouldn't think it would
cause them to fail. This happened both Wednesday and Thursday. Luckily
Wednesday one of my buddies came out and gave me a lift to the parts
store. Thursday, well, it was 11:30pm, and my buddies and I were out
and about, so no parts stores, but we were able to jam the metal bit
back into the plastic and I drove the 15kms home. ANY ideas are
appreciated, as I need to get this fixed ASAP. Driving my sister's DOHC
automatic trans Neon sucks.