Re: Decrease in gas mileage

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 03:08:23 EST

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:57:23 -0500, bill@nissley.com ("Bill Nissley")
wrote:

>I had a sudden decrease in my gas mileage recently. I had been
>consistently getting 14-14.7 mpg, now I am getting 13-13.5 mpg. A tank
>was lasting me about 10 days, and now that is down to 8. The truck still
>seems to perform the same, but I don't push it very hard so I don't know
>if I'd notice a slight difference in performance.
>
>The only 2 things that I can relate it to was an oil change a Jiffy Lube
>that I had done because I was going on a trip to Arizona (750 miles
>round trip) and I didn't have time to take care of it. The second thing
>was the trip itself. I left the day after the service. That is where I
>first noticed the low MPG. It was lower on the trip than what I had been
>getting around town. The outside temperature was in the low 100s, but no
>overheating at all even with the air conditioner on the whole way. The
>Viper fan seemed to work really well.
>
>Those 2 things may be coincidental, but since then I have had the
>problem. Anyone have any thoughts?

Bad gas is a definite possibility. How many times have you bought gas
at a station that you know/regularly go to since you've had the
problem? Might try running a bottle of Techron through it with the
next fresh tank. Cheap fix if it was just some crappy gas.

Even though Jiffy Lube isn't known for their remarkable quality
service, I can't imagine that they could really do anything *that* bad
as long as they filled you up with the correct type and amount of oil.

If it were me, I'd change the oil and filter again just for good
measure. But thenagain, I've also been known to wash my truck after
I've taken it to a carwash (which I rarely do)...

-Bill