Re: RE: Decrease in gas mileage

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 11:59:44 EST

> That has never made sense to me. If you loose 2 mpg and you get 20 mpg
> and now you get 18. You just increase consumption by 10% per mile, NOW if it
> burns cleaner by 5% you just increased pollution by 5% more per mile with the
> oxygenator.. Don't make sense to me. "Sir Bill"

I'd give you odds it wasn't actually someone who gives a rip about the
environment who decided that's what they should do.

Consider yourself lucky that you only have to deal with that crap for half
of the year. Here in California, they still change the formulation in the
winter, but we have shitty MTBE oxygenate in our gas all year round. And
guess what? One of the excuses that the refineries and gas companies use
as an excuse for the historically higher gas prices here is the added cost
of using MTBE. Well, guess what else? MTBE is an industrial waste product
that is completely worthless for anything else. The industries that produce
it will more or less pay the gas companies to take it so that they don't have
to pay someone else to dispose of it.

What's worse is that having an oxygenate in the gas is supposed to be "better"
for the environment... And yet, for some reason, they've been finding MTBE
pollution in the Alaskan snow pack for several years now. Any ideas where
it's been coming from? You guessed it.

-Bill