RE: Re: Balljoints - CBS story

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 15:48:42 EST

dude, they're raping you up the asshole with that estimate.

here are the prices i got when i did mine
when i did the lower driver's side ball joint, total cost was $147 with a
moog ball joint.
when i did the remaining three ball joints, the total cost was $507 (keep in
mind, that includes the cost of COMPLETELY disassembling both the driver's
and passenger's side suspension, and replacing all the bushings, ball
joints, and shocks).

the price of the shocks should not be $300. i picked up a set of monroe
reflex shocks for $44.88 each ($96 total, including tax). also, there
shouldn't be a labor charge for doing the shocks, because the shocks have to
come out anyways when they do the upper ball joints.

just for your calculations, my total labor cost for the front-end rebuild
was $348, and that was with an ASE Master Mechanic doing the work, not some
fly-by-night mechanic. the balance of the $507 ($159) went into buying 3
ball joints, and both of the sway bar links.

take the truck back and tell him to shove that estimate!

Gabe Couriel